Applying for Financial Aid
n order to apply for financial aid, you must have an FSA User Id and password. If you are a dependent student, as defined by the US Department of Education, your parents must provide their information on the application as well and will need their own FSA User ID and password. To determine if you must provide parent information as well, please review the criteria below.
An Independent Student is one who meets one or more of the following criteria.
If you do not meet at least one of the criteria, you are automatically a dependent student and your parent(s) information must be provided.
- Were you born before January 01, 1992?
- Are you married?
- Will you be working on a Master’s Degree?
- Do you have children that you provide half of their support?
- Do you have any other dependents?
- Are your parents deceased, or are you a ward of the court?
- Are you currently serving on active duty?
- Are you a veteran of the Armed Forces (Minimum one Full Term)?
- At any time after the age of 13, were you a foster child?
- Are you an emancipated minor in your legal state?
- Are you in legal guardianship in your legal state?
- Were you ever classified to be a homeless youth?
1. Use this link for an explanation on how to apply for a user name and password. Follow the instructions on this webpage.
2. Once you have established your user name and password you can complete the FAFSA. Please click here.
3. It will take you approximately 30 minutes to complete the form. We strongly encourage you to use the “IRS DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL” to populate income sections of the FAFSA. Not using the tool may delay your financial aid. When asked for the school code enter “005452”. Don’t forget to enter your pin number at the end (and have your parent’s enter their pin number, if you are a dependent student) and print the form for your records. After printing, you must hit the “SUBMIT” button to record the application with the Department of Education.
The school should get a response within 48 hours.
Selected For Verification
The US Department of Education selects a certain percentage of applicants for a process called verification. If you are selected, all income information must be verified by the school. You must complete a verification worksheet and provide your (and your parent’s, if dependent) tax information. If you do not have your taxes, you may complete an IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT request for the appropriate year (and your parent’s tax transcript, if you are a dependent student). We will provide the tax transcript request form. If you want to request the tax transcript in person, you may obtain a list of local IRS offices by clicking here. Submit the tax transcript information to us as soon as possible.
If you did not file or a parent did not file a federal tax return, you must obtain a “Verification of Non-Filing” from the local IRS office.
Again we will provide the request form or you may go to a local IRS office.
Once all documents are on file and verification is complete, if applicable, we will put together an award package. You will receive a Financial Aid Estimate Worksheet detailing your academic year costs and aid awarded. Before any loans are disbursed, you must complete student loan Entrance Counseling. Please click here to complete entrance counseling.